This lab is about VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP). In this tutorial we will discuss about VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) Implementation on Cisco Packet Tracer, in last tutorial we discuss about What is a Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN)?
Introduction to VTP
VTP reduces administration in a switched network. When you configure a new VLAN on one VTP server, the VLAN is distributed through all switches in the domain. The domain of all other switches must be same like which we give to the server switch. VTP will let you create VLANs on one switch and all the other switches will synchronize themselves.
We have basically 4 modes of VTP, the main mode is the server mode, we will discuss them.
VTP server mode
We have one VTP server which is the switch where you can create / modify or delete VLANs.
VTP Client Mode
The VTP configuration has a revisio number which will increase when you make a change. Whenever you make a change on the VTP server this will be synchronized to the VTP clients.
VTP Transparent Mode
VTP Transparent will forward advertisements but will not synchronize it self. You can create VLAN’s locally though which is impossible on the VTP client.
- You create VLAN 10 on the VTP server.
- The revision number will increase.
- The VTP server will forward the latest advertisement which will reach the VTP transparent switch.
- The VTP transparent will not synchronize itself but will forward the advertisement to the VTP client.
- The VTP client will synchronize itself with the latest information.
VTP Off mode
In the VTP off mode, switches behave the same as in the VTP transparent mode with the exception that VTP advertisement are not forwarded.
VTP Version 2 (VTP v2)
VTP V2 is introduce support for token ring VLANs. Whenever you will use token ring topology you must trun on the VTP V2.
VTP ensures that all switches in the VTP domain are aware of all VLANs. However, there are occasions when VTP can create unnecessary traffic. All unknown unicasts and broadcasts in a VLAN are flooded over the entire VLAN. All switches in the network receive all broadcasts, even in situations in which few users are connected in that VLAN. VTP pruning is a feature that you use in order to eliminate or prune this unnecessary traffic.
VTP Configuration Guideline
- All switches have same VTP domain.
- All switches in a VTP domain must run the same VTP version.
- All switches in a VTP domain has the same VTP password.
- All VTP server switches should have the same configuration revision number and it should be the highest in the domain.
Watch Video Configure VLAN and VTP – Cisco CCNA, if you have any question you can comment.
Latest posts by Hamza Arif (see all)
- Exploring the wireshark interface – Troubleshoot network - June 24, 2018
- How to Download and install Wireshark? - June 22, 2018
- What is Wireshark? – Troubleshoot Network - June 21, 2018